Enhancing existing Hydropowerplant facilities
April 9-10, 2014
Grenoble, ENSE3A Technical tour will be organized on April 11Preliminary announcement and call for papers(upload the file)
In 2010, the French association SHF (Société Hydrotechnique de France) organized a conference on hydropower environmental issues and in November of the following year, another conference on Pumped Storage Plants. These conferences had strong representation from most European countries and showed the interest in sharing experiences on new issues and directions for the development of hydropower.The pillars of Hydropower development are both new hydropower projects and modernization of existing Hydropower plants. The present conference is focused on exchanging experiences on enhancing hydropower plants facilities. As hydropower is expected to deliver more services to the grid, and also to complement the development of intermittent sources, the conference includes the development of pumped storage plants from existing schemes.The conference will be aimed at sharing experiences on these issues, at the European and worldwide levels. It will also encourage professionals and researchers to meet and discuss technical and economic issues, both motivations and technical solutions to project enhancement.
Topics will include:
- Upgrading and repowering existing facilities: turbines or electrical equipment, fish friendly turbines, unpowered dams, monitoring technical and environmental performances.
- New pumped storage plants based upon existing hydropower facilities and associated ancillary services.
- Redesigning hydropower plants and schemes or new schemes including existing facilities and intakes, capacity of reservoir, ecological flows.
- New operating patterns.
Papers will address both motivations and technical solutions of upgrading, refurbishing, redesign and new operating patterns. Among these motivations are:
- Assistance and services to power systems and grids: contribution to the stability of power systems, availability, ancillary services, balancing intermittent energy sources
- Environmental sustainability: tackling water framework directive, ecological flows
- Improving availability and safety in plants operation
- Economical benefits of enhancing projects
Both small and large hydropower plants will be concerned by the conference.
President of SHF Scientific and Technical Committee
Chair of the conference
- Abstract submission : July 10th, 2013
- Abstract selection : September, 2013
- Full paper submission : January 15th, 2014 Language
: English Proposals for posters
will be welcome
An area will be available for exhibition booths